Carb Regulations

Carb Regulations


As of 2020, the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will verify compliance to ensure that vehicles subject to the California Air Resources Board’s (CARB) Truck and Bus Regulation meet the requirements prior to obtaining DMV registration.

What are the CARB requirements I must meet to ensure that DMV can register my vehicle?

The Truck and Bus Regulation is currently in effect, and your diesel vehicle must meet the compliance deadlines. As of 2020, DMV will check compliance with the regulation in order to register your vehicle based on the following schedule:

Lighter Vehicles (14,001 - 26,000 lbs GVWR):

Vehicle Model YearDMV Verifies Compliance*
2004 and olderJanuary 1, 2020
2005 – 2007January 1, 2021
2008 – 2010January 1, 2023

Heavier Vehicles (>26,000 lbs GVWR):

Vehicle Model YearDMV Verifies Compliance*
2000 and olderJanuary 1, 2020
2001 – 2005January 1, 2021
2006 – 2007January 1, 2022
2008 – 2010January 1, 2023

*You may already be out of compliance and currently subject to DMV registration holds.

How does my vehicle comply?

You must replace your 2010 or older vehicle (2009 or older engine) based on the Truck & Bus Regulation schedule—OR—be using an allowable compliance option and reporting in the Truck Regulation Upload, Compliance and Reporting System (TRUCRS).

What if I am currently out of compliance with the Truck and Bus Regulation?

CARB can place a DMV registration hold on your vehicle now if it does not meet current regulatory requirements.

Which vehicles are subject to the Truck and Bus Regulation?

The Regulation applies to nearly all diesel-fueled trucks, buses, and school buses with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 14,000 pounds.

If your vehicle is exempt from another heavy-duty diesel regulation (see below for examples), it is likely subject to the Truck and Bus Regulation.

• Solid waste collection vehicles • Drayage trucks • Cargo-handling equipment

If your vehicle is exempt from the Regulation, or has met the regulatory requirements, you will be able to register with the DMV. Reporting fleet and vehicle information to CARB, such as VIN numbers, may be needed to ensure that you are not mistakenly denied registration.

For more information on the Truck and Bus Regulation, compliance options, and funding opportunities, call the Diesel Hotline: 1-866-6DIESEL (1-866-634-3735) or visit: